Monday 8 November 2010

Autumn's Here!

Hello everyone!

Autumn's here, bringing with it a load of soggy leaves and bloggy musings from me. The last time I blogged was in June. I am truly rubbish at it. Anyway, if you're interested, I'd better catch you up on what I've been doing over the past five months. If you're not, what are you doing reading this?

Back in June, I had a lovely gig in Southampton, organised by Waterstones, followed by a day talking to some splendid children at the Southampton Book Festival. Then I went to Norwich where I was well looked after by the splendid Marilyn Brocklehurst, book lady extraudinaire, and visited some terrific schools.

Then - two fabulous weeks holidaying in Corfu, doing lots of reading and swimming and eating and racing around on quad bikes. Our Ipod packed in after two days, but we still managed to have a good time dancing to the music in our heads.

When we got back, my daughter Ella did a bike ride from London to Paris to raise money for the Big Issue charity. Rather her than me. Her bum hurt A LOT. August was a sociable month, with lots of weddingy birthday sort of stuff. I visited my relations in Devon, which was nice.

In September I went to Italy for a wonderful literature festival held in the town of Mantova. They had over 700 volunteers to help out - mostly teenagers. The sun shone, there was a castle and a Duke's Palace and cobbled streets and fantastic food. I was a bit anxious that no one would turn up to my sessions (I don't have that many books translated into Italian, and the audiences wouldn't speak English.) But I needn't have worried. I was given a great translator and the sessions were hosted by two wonderful guys who got the audiences up and running - it was huge fun. Probably the best literature festival I've ever been to, which is saying a lot. Thank you to all my new friends in Italy.

Then I was on Jury Service for two weeks, which I hated. Lots of sitting around. I was there for ten days and only spent two half days in court. I got a lot of reading done, though. It wasn't a bit like Judge Judy (who I regularly watch on tele.)

I had an enjoyable day at the Barbican Library in October, and two more days in Southampton, where I met more lovely children and had to judge a fancy dress competition. Very difficult - they were all so good! Mostly little witches with the odd vampire/Frankenstein monster thrown in.

I've now finished all my visits for this year. My new picture book with Korky Paul has just come out - it's called Dodo doo-doo. I'm working on the follow-up and also will be starting on a new novel shortly. Crash 'N' Bang, the latest novel, is coming out next March.

I have had some great letters from children. One was from Izzie, who didn't put her address on. I hope she reads this and knows why I didn't write back. Don't forget, kids, always put your address on.

Firework night has come and gone and next up is my birthday, followed by Christmas, hooray! I intend to start on the new book and catch up with emails and letters and phone calls. Mo (my husband) needs to update my website and add on new books. He's forgotten how to do it, I think, so it might take a while.

Many thanks to all fans, friends and readers who post comments on this blog. If I haven't responded, please forgive me - I find this blogging business truly complicated, being pathetic around computers or technology of any sort. It doesn't help that Heathcliff (annoying cat number one) is strolling around on the keyboard.

I think I've covered everything. I won't leave it so long next time - promise. I'll end with saying hello to all the terrific librarians, teachers, bookshop people and kids that have treated me with such kindness and enthusiasm over the past months.

lots of love from

Kaye
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Hello! Just wanted to say that your book, Pongwiffy and the Pantomime, (we listened to it on CD) was a hit with my daughter in her early teens. She is now turning 19 and has been trying to find the book and CD's to purchase! She still can quote whole sections of it. We weren't aware of how many books you'd done and feel ripped off that not all of them are in Canadian libraries or stores! We've got some catching up and online shopping to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently discovered the book depository and was delighted to find they ship books worldwide for free, so I picked up a copy of another school favorite of mine - Hammy House of Horror. Though I now think I have a problem, come the day I have to move house I think I will have to declare that I have too many books for a 21 year old!!!
    Kaye, do you suppose there will be an audio book for Pongwiffy Back On Track with Prunella Scales? I do hope so, it will complete my collection. Well not really, I can't seem to Find the first Pongiwffy as an audio book, cd or digital download! It's a tragedy! Any help you can offer there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Kaye,you have no idea how Pongwiffy influenced my childhood.They are most beautiful books i had ever read in my childhood. I am a psychologist now and i use pongwiffy as a personal defence mechanism.Sometimes I still read pongwiffy, it reminds my childhood =) I will save my books for my child.

    Loves from İstanbul

    Ozge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Kaye... I am a 10 years old boy from Hong Kong. This year the 63rd Hong Kong Schools Speech Festival use your book "An Alien Ate my Homework"
    This give me a chance to read your writing. I have not read them before. I go to the book shop and buy your writing. Wouldyou be helpful to answer me a question....... In your book "An Alien Ate My Homework" at that moment when the boy told his teacher that {{{{ I was alone last night,}}}}} What the boy feeling???? Scary, afraid or ... brave as he can finished all his sums .... !!!!!
    I argued with my speech teacher as she told me that the boy felt scary, I don't think so!!!
    I asked my mum and she helped me to find your blog. Would you be kind to tell me the answer.

    My name is Matthew

    yours
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kaye,
    I read Wilma's Wicked revenge when I was around 12 years old, and I loved it so much I was putting off finishing it because I didn't want it to end. Here's the kicker, though. I am 24 now, and I just read it again, and it had the exact same impact on me! I loved it then and I love it now, and was pleasantly surprised to see it had a sequel which I also ordered and am reading now :) Truly inspiring work, thank you very much. I personally aspire to be a children's author myself, and hope that my writing can someday create the same impact as your Wilma did on me.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete