Sunday 14 March 2010

Hi everyone!



Yet again I am seriously behind with my blog - really sorry. My hard disc crashed causing untold nuisance to my poor husband, who had to deal with it. Thought I'd lost all my emails - arrrrgh!



But didn't, hooray!



I've had such a busy time, what with World Book Day and trying to move my current novel on. I had a lovely day in Portsmouth, meeting lots of great kids. I went to a fabulous dinner in Birmingham to celebrate forty years of the Children's Federation of Books, along with Alan Ahlberg, Robert Swindells and Korky Paul.

In World Book Week, I shared a stage three times with Philip Ardagh, because we were teamed together for one of the World Book Day books. We did a great gig in a school organised by the Tales On Moon Lane bookshop, followed by an event at Waterstones in Piccadilly - and finally, we talked to nearly a thousand(!!) lovely children in the Rose Theatre in Kingston. Philip is tall and beardy and very funny. He had a poorly ankle but didn't complain much.

Our book - Pongwiffy and the Important Announcement/ The Great Pasta Disaster is selling nicely. Philip thinks his story is much better than mine and tells kids to just keep re-reading his. I hope you don't!

Next week I'm off to Shrewsbury to do a couple of events in schools. Then it's quiet for a bit, which is just as well as I really need to get this book finished - the dealine is perilously near.

I went to see Avatar and loved it. Oh - and the second book about Clover Twig is coming out any day now. It's called Cover Twig and the Perilous Path. I hope Clover fans enjoy it.

Lots of love 'til next time.

Kaye
XXXX

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, you saw Avatar ... I must officially be the only person in the world not to have watched it. Tut-tut! I opted for the Wolfman instead ... something most people don't seem to like. Oh well!
    I finally got my hands on an audio book of Pongwiffy! I cannot begin to tell you what a mission that was ... it's the Holiday of Doom. I do so love Prunella Scales as your selected reader. She is so expressive with all her voices.
    How funny ... I was in a similar boat with my PC – it quite literally blew up. There was smoke and three loud bangs. In South Africa we have constant power surges so I was expecting something bad to happen. Luckily I backed all my stuff onto an external hard drive.
    Wishing you all the luck for the next month (or two) ahead. Enjoy your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see someone is ALMOST as behind on their blog as I am mine...

    Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that my family listened to Solomon Snow and the Silver Spoon on a recent vacation (to Jamestown, VA and Colonial Williamsburg).

    Amazingly, the story captivated the imaginations of all four of my kids (ages 5, 8, 10, & 12), my wife (38, and an avid Dickens fan), and me (45, novelist and short story writer).

    After nearly 25 hours in the car (over the course of 4 days), we were actually a bit disappointed to climb out of the van with an entire disc to go! In case you don't recognize it, that could very well be the highest literary achievement in the history of the known world.

    Looking forward to exploring more of your stories!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dylan!

    I haven't seen Wolfman. Will get it out on DVD. I always think Prunella Scales sounds a wee bit posh when reading out Pongwiffy - but she's got lots of fans, so there you go. We fixed the link to the Pongwiffy site - thanks again for pointing it out. Hope you're well and happy.

    And hi to Michael, whose lovely family locked into Solomon Snow for many, many miles. So glad you enjoyed it and hope your own writing is going well!

    love to all of you. Oh - I've just done a new blog. Does that mean you will never see these words? I wish I could get my head around technology. I think computers work because little pixies in the black box bit are sending out magic waves. My husband is in despair.

    Kaye
    XXX

    ReplyDelete